Tuesday, December 9, 2008

HomeMade dishwasher detergent and fabric softener

In my domestic godess quest there have been trials and errors.But I think I finally have homemade dishwasher detergent right.As in Ive used it and we aint sick.I had to tweak the recipe a bit,and finally got streak free dishes for mere pennies.Yay for me today.Neil is proud too.
ingredients:
2 packs of lemon Kooliade {i use the dollar General cheap stuff}
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
2 drops essential oil.your choice{i used clove oil this batch since its the holidays}

In a bowl mix borax and washing soda.Combine well.
Add kooliade,stir well again.
then add 2-3 drops essential oil.
mix,then I put it into an airtight small tub,from yet again the dollar store.
Use 1/2 -1 tablespoon in the first comaprtment and 1 tablespoon in the bigger one.
* Be sure to use plain ole white vinegar in your jet dry dispenser.

This has worked great for us. I kept having trouble with streaks before I added the koolaide.When I googled it,someone suggested citric acid.and that koolaide would work in a pinch.Dont use any other flavor,unless you use that invisable stuff they have.and also,the vinegar not only saves money,but gives you a streak free shine too.

Hoemade fabirc softener is about the easiest first step you can make when trying to go greener and save money.
1/4-1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup white vinegar.
Thats it.
when adding detergent,{I use liquid},fill your cup up to the 2 line add to washer,then add baking soda.
then either fill your dispenser or downy ball just to the line.
Your clothes will NOT SMELL LIKE PICKLES
and thats it.
Im highly sensative to commerical brands.About the only one who does not break me out in hives is the Walamart liquid kind,and only then a particular scent,which in the store I never could rememeber.
So there ya have it.easy ways to help your home go greener and save money.

No comments: