Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Southern Proud

I am a southern woman.No,I am not a lady,yet.Maybe I'll never be.The Southern way of life is a world to its own.As is life in Cali,and the North.Ive traveled far and wide in this wonderful country of ours and met some wonderful people.They all are hospitable,and maybe feel a bit sorry for me,when I bust out with Im frum Missippi.I traveled to Cali,via Minneapolis.My friend told me to wear flip flops on the plane and a denim Jacket would suffice.Ok,fine I thought.I had only a 30 minute layover on the trip out there.The pilot came on and said it was 22 degrees and sunny.HOLY SHIt,thats cold to me.But apparently to the locals it was a warm day in Feb.I stepped outside the airport to smoke before my 4 hr flight to Sunny Ca and froze.You hear me?I froze!I called said friend and cussed her for her rediculus idea that flip flops in Minnesota in Feb was a good idea!On the way home I dreesed for success.I had on 2 shirts,tennis shoes and my Carhardt coat.This time I had a 4 hr layover and decided to take the train to the Mall of America.I stood shivering in the line at a pizza place and the man behind the counter with a thick Italian accent asked me if I was ok.NAW,I said Im freezin'.He asked me where I was from,Ms,I told him.The man gave me a side of unasked for,but welcomed,pasta to warm me up.He told me if I was ever up North again to look him up.That random act of kindness I shant forget.Down here in Dixie our blood is thin! Very Thin,so we can withstand hot summer days,where you can see the humity rising up on a July morning.In 99 in my 65 day Army stint,in SC,there were folks passing out from the heat.I didnt understand,to me this was lovely weather! I guess you adapt.We recently helped Mama move and she had hired a guy from CO to help.He and his wife had just moved to Ky so she could get her Masters.We got to talking about food,my fav subject,and I mentioned turnip greens.He looked confused and said he ate turnips.Neil alughed hardily at him,and siad you're eating the wrong part,you eat the greens and leave the trunips for the deer.In Philly in a great lil Italian deli,I got a marriage proposal.Based on my accent alone.Not b/c of my jet lagged,no sleep or made up looks.I told him my husband might not appreciate it.lol.But he was very nice and seemed to be facinated with my country ass.We do things diffrent down here.We drink sweet tea.In Iowa,I asked the waitress for a glass of sweet tea.SHe brought us a glass with a spoon in it and pointed towards the sugar.Down here you can buy large tea bags at any grocery and most convient stores year round.Not in Philly in March you caint.We looked.But I will say this for Yankee Mama who gracuoisly opened her home to me,the woman can make a better pork loin than ANYONE.Southern or not!like I said I go where the lodging is free,and I have friends all over the country.I made them Yankee's pimento Cheese and Granny tore it up!I'm proud of that.I think we can all learn from each other with just a bit of open mind.We all do things diffrently,but most of the time towards the same goal,survival.The SOuth is very Clanish,thanks to our deep Scottish roots.We're warriors,we're arrogant about our way of life and most wouldnt have it any other way.Yesterday on the way back home after picking up Sams daughter from School I saw a beautiful sight.There was a HUGE rebel flag flying in the breeze.Its near an old cemetary,that I didnt have time to peek at,but its georgus.Right there in the middle of a bean feild is an ode to heritage.I pulled up and men were working on building a cuopla on the top a gazebo that serves as a memorial.We got to talking,Its on private property,but there have been compalints about it.I have no compalints,b/c Im educated about our histroy.To me it is not a symbol of oppresion and slavery.But a symbol for those men who wanted independance much like our fellow Americans against king george.Not saying Linclon was a tyrant by any means,but jsut that we all have our history.In Texas they have been under numerus flags,including the Confederate.They now have just a lone star.A symbol of independance.I voted in Ms to keep the confederate flag on the state flag.Not b/c Im racist,but b/c Im proud of my heritage.I love everyone,as a Chirstian should.My point is,there are wonderful folks on this great America,and maybe we just need to be a bit more open to accepting that!

No comments: