Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Explaining 9/11 to my 7 year old

This is an actual serious blog.Last night Jake told me he could hear the TV in the Lr and wantd to know what I was watching.It happend to be a show about 9/11 widows.It showed stories about how the women spent their widow money,showed domestic parteners being left out,and it showed the 2nd plane hitting the tower.Jake saw that,and asked where it had happend.I told him it happend in New York City,and those 2 were not the only planes.That there were 2 more.All crahsed,all dead on board.and others in the buildings they hit.Including firefighters,police,and kids.I wasnt quite sure where to go from there,but then he asked Why.I told him there were ppl out there who hated America and our way of life.He wanted to know how theyd gotten the planes to crash.I told him they learned how to fly and over took the pilot.The fear in his innocent eyes was as real as mine was in the days after 9/11.I was going to EMT school at the time,and that day during class we were glued to the TV and hugged and cried for our fallen brothers.Not only the EMS workers,but simply fellow Americans.He asked HOW could such a thing have happend here?Its a question Ive asked myself over the years since then.How?I explained to him that we live in a great Nation,where freedom rings.That we get more priveleges than any other country in the world,and we are the BEST!Best at everything!We are the best b/c we are free.I think he was even more concerned about Levi and my up coming plane ride to Cali.I told him Id flown 2 diffrent times since I'd been his Mommy and im still hear.I told him thats how come all the securtity was so tight and it took a long time at the airport.And that Id come back home twice and Id come home a 3rd time.I dont know,that if I dont return,that he will ever forgive me for intentionaly lying to him.I felt at that point my job as Mama was to reasure him.I told him there were brave men and women who died that day,including those on flight 93.That thye gave their lives so we could still drive to Ms with out about a bunch of legal paperwork.I told him he'd understand it a bit more when he was older.I told him there were bad ppl in the world who didnt like our way of life.I told him that he was so blessed to live in America.I hope to instill a love of country in my children.I come from a long line of military servants.Who did their duty proud ad with honor,and I hope he does the same.I may be raising the next soildiers who put flags on the top of Mountains,despite the battle not being over.Or men that will rush into buring buildings,to help ppl with out a thought of their own safety.The men and women,military,ems,and civialians alike who gave us our freedom that day are all heros.As are the men and women who continue to serve our great nation,no matter their capacity.I eventulaly had to end our conversation b/c it was getting past his bed time.But I hope I will continue to instill love of God,family and country in my children.I think I started the love of country last night.Or planted more seeds that have already been sewn.I think we do live in a great land.Aside from voting,my favorite freedom is being able to get in my car with a full tank and take off to wherever I want to go.And the only thing I need is a map,or even just my TN driver Lisence.After the trip to Philly I appreicated the Revolution even more.Being born in Vicksburg,deep in Confederate history,I have a love of my home state too.those men who fought for the south fought for what they believed was right.As did the ones from the North.I hope America never goes through that again.That we can co exist despite our diffrent veiws.Thats what we're founded on.Thats what makes us so great.I hope God will continue to bless America,and we never forget just the price that was paid for it.

No comments: