Saturday, October 25, 2008

Kugel is not for us!

Ok,so getting back into the swing of domestic godessdom is easy.Groacery shopping,diapers,and sweeping the forever messy kitchen floor.Always a family of guniea pigs on food,I decidd to try something new last night.And it made me think.I made a potato kugel.I followed a recipe that looked great.There was butter,and cheese,and potato and half and half in it.Cant go wrong there.UM WRONG.I made this hashbrown textured mess!The dog is going to get it for breakfast.I googled Kugel and found out its primarliy a Jewish food.Ok,good.I like jewishesque foods.this one was not for us.Even after it had been baking for an hour the potatos Id shredded my self were not done and bland was the word.i even added some sour cream,bacon,and a can fo cream of chicken decideding to just make hash brown casserole.it was such a mess.So it got me thinking.Are our palates hard wired to like what our ancestors of yesteryear gave us?Part of me thinks so.I love cabbage and potatos.thanks to my irish roots.I lovoe a cup of hot tea,with lemon,and scones.thanks to the English roots.Nad yes,I even like deer meat too.Thanks to those native ones.But ont he other hand I can plow through a plate of lasange and at one point could snarf a whole medium pizza.I like smelly french cheese,and baguets.But those are not comfort foods to me.Taters,and cabbage,and turnip greens are.Gotta have my Southern fare.to my knowledge theres mainly Irish,Scottish,British,and Native in me.No Jewish,or mid European,or French.I totally appreciate other foods.Like local stuff.Aka Fish tacos,and chesse steak sandwiches.But those arent comfort foods.Give me a meat loaf,or potroast with taters,carrots,and onion any day.Or dressing,not stove top stuffing.or a tomato sandwich or pimento cheese,or anything with pork and Im good.I think maybe it goes back tot eh Nature vs Nurture theory from Phychology.If a person born in China moves to the Southern States after birth,and never eat chinnese food,would they like it?Just a thought......

No comments: