Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Going Cruising

On March 20,2010 Neil and I will embark on our first cruise.I'm calling it the Non-Moon,since we didnt take a honeymoon.We bought a house,a car,and had a baby.I'm so excited.

Neil and I have been talking about taking a cruise since we first met.I think it was even brought up in convo before we met. Neither of us have ever been on one. I was thinking the Bahama's, Jamaica,and like Turks and Caico's. But Neil had other ideas...He wants to take the Amtrak to New Orleans,La. {NOLA~for future reference}.So in light of the fact that we've never taken a vaction alone since we got married, we got to looking at cruises. Since he wants to take the train, it limited us to either NOLA,Mobile,and a strech of maybe Galveston,Tx. He said he flat didnt want to drive anywhere once we got to NOLA, and that limited us even more. As did a time frame. This year he has a hunting trip planned in the fall with his buddies. That will eat his vacation time this year. We also had to think about money too.As in,we dont have much,and cruises aint cheap. His mom has a friend,Miss E,Ill call her, and she is a travel agent out of her near Atlanta home. SO we knew that when we were ready to do this thing,we'd hit her up for booking and information. I emailed her and told her what we wanted to do. The advice started transmitting! She is a WEALTH of information. And she kinda knows,since Im a SAHM,that money would be an issue. With the tax refund I stashed some cash away,just for a deposit on a vacation for us. Whether it was a weekend to St.Loius,which is in driving distance,or a resort like Sandals, or wherever we wanted to go....So Neil and I began the process of narrowing it down. When I say "we",I mean "I". Im the traveler here, and the priceline junkie.lol. Some ppl shop for RV's, others guns, me? Its plane tickets baby! You never know when they may be having a sale you cant afford to pass up.
So,thanks to Miss E. we found Carnival Cruise line,and they leave from NOLA. As does Norweigen {sic} but looking at their prices,we could not afford them.Not right now,and not for a vacation we may or may not like. We knew we didnt want a long cruise,and we knew we had to wait until next year. As in pay on it all year, and use next years refund to pay for the extra's. I looked at Sandals in Montego Bay,Jamaica. Too much for our meager funds,even paying on it for a year. So Carnival it was. I called it the Clearance Rack of cruise lines. I think I mis said that though. From what Ive read on Cruise Critic.com theyre great. Not some fancy dnacy, stuffy cruise line,all about formal nights and pom and circumstance. Neil and I are not those kinds of ppl. I hope we never are. So, after hit and missing a few times, we chose the Carnival Triumph. It basically is the only ship { I called it a boat,and buddy did I get corrected!} that leaves NOLA that we could afford. Its an older ship,but has recently been refurbished.
Im cheap when I travel. I figure if I can save on accomodations,I can go more places. So I was thinking an ocean view room,nothing fancy.Just eating 24/7. Laying in the sun,and sipping somehting with an umbrella in it for a few days. Then Miss E told me you cant open the windows in an ocean view room {yes,my dumb redneck ass asked}. So,we booked a balcony room. And I cringed! Not that we didnt get a good deal,or even a great room {I hope}, still...Ive never spent this much money at one time for a vaction in my life. If you add up everything, train ride, hotel one night in NOLA, crusie, crap on the cruise, alcohol, and tips..Ive probably spent that much combined on every trip Ive taken as an adult. That includes 2 trips to Cali and one to Philly.and everywhere else in between Ive gone. So probably right at what has been spent out of my won pocket. That does not include the things on these trips that have been paid for in my behalf. But still. I guess Im going through what car buyers call "Sticker Schock". And its still cheaper than 5 days at an all inclusive resort. I told my mom I was having some "buyers remorse". She reminded me #1 that you only live once, and #2,that we're doing this smart. as in not putting off bills to go on vacation,and we're booking so far in advance that surely we can pay off the balance before the Dec 31 deadline.
The kids,tentavily will be staying with grandparents. Jake with the ExMil, and Levi with the my current {and rest of my life}MIL.On an aside note,is it once a MIL always a MIL? Thats how I feel about my ex one.Anyway. We've yet to ask Neils folks if they can keep Levi. I guess if she reads this she will see...lol.
So now I have over a year for my anal retenvie self to plan plan plan.Im a combo of both. Ready to go anywhere,anytime,if I can afford to,and then if I can plan,I google until Im crosseyed.I got a copy of Cruising For Dummys,the 07 edition on amazon for .75 plus shipping. So I cant wait for it to get here. The main plan is to RELAX with my wonderful hubby. Miles out on the ocean,out on our balcony,and call room service at 3 am ,just cuz we can.......

1 comment:

Stephanie Appleton said...

We went on a cruise for the first only time about ten years ago. We loved it. I wish we could afford to go again. (Actually we couldn't afford it then, but were too stupid to care.) We had a dinky inside cabin with no windows, but it was fine b/c we really spent almost no time in the cabin.