Friday, December 18, 2009

Battle Charmin

In marriage some good advice Ive been told is : Pick your Battles!

Yesterday a battle of wills began at our house, over toilet paper. Yes, its that time of year again where the 4 letter word SNOW is being mentioned on the news. So ever a good Suzy Homemaker, we needed toilet paper to "stock up for winter". Josh had to make a Walmart run, so I asked him to pick up a few extra things. Ever tryin to kill 2 birds with one stone, Ahhh, Im good like that, ya know. I asked him to get toilet paper,since we were down to 2 double rolls. Im paranoid to say the least about snow and wintery mix. {See other blog postings} There were a couple of other items on the list too,but none as important to rant about name branf vs store brand. Well after a while, my Walmart hunter man came home. With him he brought home the various items I asked him too, AND an econo package of CHARMIN t.p. I HATE charmin t.p. Not once in the almost 4 years of being a couple has he EVER seen Charmin in my possesion. I cant stand that brand. It sticks to you in various places, like a Q-Tip to nail polish. You know what Im talking about. Those stray strands of cotton, you tried to remove, but are stuck to your nails, until you remove the polish. Well to me and my parts, thats what Charmin does to me. Sure its soft and what not, but I never feel quite clean! SO when he came in with it, I kinda went a lil nutty. He said balistic, but I disagreed and told him, I had NOT gone ballistic, b/c I didnt throw anything. He conceded that point. So I ranted and raved! He offered to take it back! {good man, I tell ya} and this time I was MORE than willing to let him. Thats how much I hate it. THis super sized package had about 8 4 packs in it. BUT, before Josh could do some things on his honeydo yesterday, Caleb made quick work of opening the package. He had fun making a train track, castle, and a few other fort like things. So, crap! Point of no return on the TP. I know this sounds petty, but I dont buy but few "name brand" items.
They are:
Kraft mayo,
Kraft singles,
Jimmy Dean sausage,
a certian kind of creamy horse radish,
Kleenex tissues, and
Im sure there are more,but Ive only had one cup of coffee.

I normally buy the Dollar General, like Quilted Northern, T.p. and if Im at Walmart, for econo packs I buy Angel Soft. I mean,its not the John Wayne t.p. like Scotts, you know that single roll, industrial tp. I not only buy those brands b/c its what I prefer, but b/c normally they are more econmical. Unless theres a great deal on name brand items, generic rules the day here at my house. If a recipe calls for Eagle Brand milk, I use Great value, or some other discount brand. Ive not had one person who ate an item in it,say, hmmm,this taste generic!
I guess it comes down to the difference in men and women and how we shop. I think women want to take the time to compare numbers, that relate to the bottom line of our household budgets. Men simply want to get in and out of where ever their wives have sent them. {even if they were going there anyway!} Just this week I bought Caleb a 3 dollar, heavy, nice,can wear this year,and next, coat at a thrift store. J.C. Penny had a similar coat,but not near as thick for 25.00. I refused to spend that much. Call me a bad mom or whathave you for buying something like that at a thirft store, but when Caleb looks back at pictures of im in that coat,years from now, I hope the furthest thing from his mind, is ooooohhhhh, Mama bought that on the cheap!
So, pick your battles, and if that battle happens to be t.p. then by all means!!!

No comments: