Monday, August 24, 2009

It Looks Like We Really Live here.

This evening the weather is wonderful. So I decided to take the boys for an after supper walk. It was dual purpose. To not let the salmon patties and mashed potato's sit near my gallbladder for too long, and to actually get out and get moving. So I loaded up Caleb in the wagon,and Nathans friend offered to pull him for me. Up the street we went. About 3 houses up on the oposite side of the street, I saw one of our neighbors outside. Then 2 more gathered. And next thing ya know,theres 5 kids running around,and we neighbors were shooting the wonderful breeze! Well, Caleb escaped the free for all of children and wandered into one of the backyards. Few of us have fences here. So,I finally got to see how the other side lives. Much like US! The general objects while looking up the other side of the streets neighbors back yards is everyone has a patio table and grill! A must have around here,apparently.The ones who have small kids have swing sets,and various playing apparatus. One had a trampoline and a play house. Others had a few Tonka trucks strewn here there and yonder.
It got me thinking just now,as Im still outside on the patio enjoying the wifi. Caleb has jumped into the kiddie pool,shoes and all. Nathan and his buddy were tossing a football around. I thought about how we REALLY live here now. Ive got my clothesline in the back yard, theres a swing set, a grill,and yes, a patio table. Unlike some of the other neighbors,we have a beautiful bistro esque patio light. I love it,but we rarely use it. Our next door neighbor followed our lead and got a bistro light as well. But her yard is the yard of the month! let me tell you. Shes got a fish pond,a hot tub,and a huge deck. Us,not so much. But it was comforting to think that we really have made our new subdivision somewhat of a lil community. Most of us know each other,and most did not before we all moved in over here. We wave while taking our kids to school, you know whos grilling,b/c it smells good. You know whos on vacation and who has out of town company. I guess you could say we kinda look out for each other around here. Each others homes and kids. We pass out popcicles,fruit snacks and water to the neighborhood kids. We call each other when something happens. We bring casseroles and swap recipes. We've become friends with each other. We help each other out by feeding the animals when folks are away,we give each other extra daylilies we've dug up from our mother in laws yard. Just good people all around,I think. No, I dont know all of them by name,but I do wave! and they wave back. Some of us know each other better. But we're still a community. We just got new neighbors. They seem like a good fit here too. Its an older couple,who have grown kids.But theyre very friendly and neighborly.
Nates buddy told me a few ago, "Miss Sarah, we were going for a walk,and wound up on an adventure!" I liked that. I told him,"son, we wer just visitin. and being neighborly.thats just what you do!".
Then his Mama hollered from the street over, he went home. Caleb got fished out of the alge infested,cold pool, and now the boys are taking a shower. I just got a load off the line,and now as the sun is setting Im listening to the crickets and locust hum thier nightly melody.
Ahhh, Life is Good Today!

No comments: