Monday, August 31, 2009

Its a Good day for Dressin

This morning in my corner of Dixie,its a breezy 57 degree's! The windows are open in my house and the AC,while not off,is turned up to 75. The fans are spinning,and there is a wee hint of fall in the air. For a Monday,life is good today! Fresh pot of generic coffee,which happens to be really good, full pack of smokes, and Dora on the TV,while I sit outside to mentally plan my day. Ive already been a busy Suzy F. Homeaker! I cut up nectarines last night,both white and orange, and put them to sugar last night. It was 11:30 before I went to bed, then woke up while the street lights were still on! So my canner got half filled, 1/2 pint jars got washed, nectarines went into a pot with the sugar soaking and lemon zest. Coffee was consumed and Facebook was checked. I have NO clue where this energy is coming from. Maybe Im kinda manic. Or maybe my new meds combo is working. I dont know.But Im not complaining. I plan to ride this UP as long as I can. If its an Up. Maybe it will be Normal. I dont know yet.
Since it IS a crisp 57 this morning, Im cooking dressing today. Or as we call it here in Dixie, Dressin. NOT stuffing. But according to the Joy of Cooking, it was originally called stuffing,but someone over in England thought stuffing a bird was vulgar,so dressing was born. Bless the prude who thought that! I make cornbread dressing. The ratio I use is 2 parts cornbread to one part white bread. Albeit a biscuit,like my Memaw makes and my mom. But Ive learned canned buiscuits work fine,or even white bread. Today going into the mix is white yeast bread I made myself. We were Oh so broke a while back {when are we not} so I made my own bread. Learned that you dont need to ever make it in a bunt pan. lesson learned.lol. I also have my cheap chicken thighs and a few drummies cooking away to make broth. I added some celery and onion to it,along with some herbs. I dont think my Memaw puts anything but salt,maybe some pepper in her broth,but I like layers of flavor. My family is a great wealth of recipes. My Mama and Memaw,and now my MIL are the best cooks I know! If I can only be half as good as they are,I will have arrived!
On tonights menu is
1. Dressing,

2. Turnip/mustard greens, {Im not too big on collards,so I didnt buy any.I also buy the pre cut,pre washed greens. It makes life SO much easier, even if some pureist would call it cheating. But honestly, Washing the greens 3 times, cutting them,and it still not being many just aint my idea of fun. So I splurge on the convience. But if you really look at it, 3.69 ish for a big bag of already done greens, is not bad compared to the smallish bunches that are only 99 cents.}

3. Rotiserie Chicken. {Our neighbors gave us a rotiserie and I fully intend on breaking it in today! If I didnt have that,Id just roast the hen I bought. I didnt have time to thaw out a whole turkey or turkey breast. Some people like chicken in the dressing, I however do not. And since Im the main cook around here, thats what the men eat,lol}

4. Whole Berry cranberry sauce.{ I always think of my Daddy saying,cranberry sauce shaped like a can! I think its a Grinch that Stole Christmas reference}

5. Rolls. { In a Paula Deen cookbook I got the easiest roll recipe EVER! Its one Cup self rising flour, 2 T of mayo, 1 tsp sugar and milk. Thats it. She says to make in a muffin tin,but I sue a round cake pan. Josh and Nate call them buiscuits,but I call em rolls. Josh said whatever you call them,theyre great. Awe,honey! lol}

6. Pumpkin Pie. {DUH!} I dont put any sugar in my pie. Nope, sure dont. I use condenced milk. Or as the older folks say, Pet Milk. But to me Pet milk is evaportated milk,and I use generic.lol}

One of my dearest friends Mel and her son are coming up for a few days, and I dont plan to cook tomorrow, its the big 2-8 for me. I ought not have to cook on my dam birthday,lol. So leftovers it is!
Im also gonna make a chicken ranch cheeseball. Simply b/c I want one!
And today I start school. The website says not till after 2 pm today, So I will have to check it later. whoooo hooo,busy day for Sarah!

No comments: