Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pears,Pears,Pears

Today I made pear butter. Sarah Style.lol. I hacked on pears,chuncked them and cooked them with sugared giner,lemon zest and a shot of white grape juice. So far so good. Then Aimees cousin Kelli told me she wanted strawberry preserves. I thought hmmmm, so I cooked and cooked and cooked them pears,adding what was left in a 5lbs bag of sugar. probably only 2 1/2 cups. added some all spice,shot of cinnamon and some fresh nutmeg. got it all syrup/pulpy and cooked it for about 45 minutes. Using my handy dandy dollar tree tater masher,I smoshed them things down some more to the consistancy of crushed pineapple. lil chunky,lil mushy. Then hard boiled it for 10 minutes or so. then added a box of strawberry jello. I got 4 1/2 pints and 3 whole pints. I always wash more jars then I think Ill need, and that was a good thing today, b/c I used them all. it taste really good!!! at least the glop that I dropped on my cutting board did. I learned last year when making jelly that using those flimsy cutting boards instaed of a towel is easier to clean. then I made a pear/apple pie. COmplete with lattice crust. Forbessised lattice crust. Im scared to weave it as yet. Then after I egg washed and spirnkled brown sugar over it I thought, SHIT, I forgot to put some butter in it. So thankfully my lattice looks like a first grader did it with the gaps, so I just diced some butter and whaa la! butter. then put a pot roast on. all the while caleb tearing up my living room! now I wait.....to see if the pear pie I got volunteered to make comes out decent and not burned. I cheated on the crust and bought that kind ya roll out. That stuff is a pian in the ass let me tell ya. It would have been easier just to make it myself! I had to get out my Joy Of Cooking to find out how long youre supposed to cook apple pie and on what temp. First thing it said to do was not to let your filling set up over 15 minutes or it will be too watery. mine had been there for 20. SO I commenced to hacking more pears and apples in hopes not to have a soggy pie. we shall see.I added another heaping tablespoon of flour just for good measure though. I kinda added this and that to it,Josh requested not much cinnamon, but he didnt say nothing about nutmeg and all spice. Just checked on my pie. Thankfully, froma tip from Paula deen I put the pie on a cookie sheet,b/c its dripping out! So thats my day today, a day of domestic godessdom!!! complete with flour and pear juice all over my apnts, blood on my shirt from where I hacked my thumb whilst peeling pears, and Caleb Pbj from his pre nap smooch on my hole. aka,my belly button!!!! Disclaimer:I typed this while smoking,so my grammar is BAD!!! And Ive not eaten today,So Im a bit shaky!

Using real names now, Josh is my husband and Nathan and Caleb are my kids!

No comments: